Are you sick of pumpkin spice recipes? Oh sorry I can’t hear you over the sound of my coffee machine making a pumpkin spice latte.
Anyways I was feeling pretty cocky after my last attempt at bread that I figured I could easily take that deliciously light and moist bread recipe and make it pumpkin flavoured.
I took that last recipe and cut it in half because it makes two loaves (I wanted one) and gave it a twist:
- Warm 1 & 3/4 cups almond milk with 2 tbsp molasses in the microwave and add it to a bowl with 2 tsp dry yeast
- After the yeast is all foamy, I added 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp nutmeg, a dash of salt, 1/2 can of pumpkin puree, and 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Then I added 3 cups white flour slowly, first stirring with a wooden spoon and then kneading as it gets firmer
- Next cover and let rise for 30 mins
- Knead 20 times and it looked like this:
Then I let it rise for another 1.5 hours before adding it to a buttered bread pan…..which was a mistake. Dividing the original recipe in two didn’t result in 1 loaf…it resulted in one loaf AND A BIT. So if you’re going to follow this recipe then still use two pans or make one loaf and some buns.
I put a bowl of water in the oven and heated it to 240 C for 10 mins before adding the loaf. I baked for 10 mins and reduced the heat to 200 C and baked for another 25 mins.
As you can see, the loaf was to big for the pan and not only reached the top of the oven to burn itself but flopped over like it was sitting on Donald Trump’s head.
BUT! Once I did some carving and added the cream cheese icing it was still pretty soft and delicious. Go forth and learn from my mistake!
For the icing I just beat together 1/2 container of Tofutti cream cheese with some icing sugar until I got the consistency I wanted and sprinkled it with some more cinnamon.